The Power of 15-Dual Credit

  • District 211’s goal is for every student to earn at least 15 early college credits prior to graduation.  Students who earn 15 hours or more of college credit before graduating from high school are two times more likely to complete a post-secondary program.  Early college credit includes both Advanced Placement and dual credit courses. The greatest benefit of early college credit is that students accumulate college credits which assist in graduating college on time or early while saving money on the overall college costs.

    Click here for a complete listing of Dual Credit Courses offered by Township High School District 211.

  • What is dual credit?

    Dual credit gives eligible high school students the opportunity to enroll in college classes for credit prior to high school graduation making the credits part of both the student’s permanent college record and high school transcript. Instructors for dual credit courses must meet the requirements to teach at both the high school and collegiate level. The greatest benefit of dual credit is that students accumulate college credits which assist in graduating college on-time or early.

  • Are dual credit classes held at a high school really college level?

    Yes. While these classes take place in a high school, the course outlines, objectives and textbooks are those of a college-level course. All dual credit instructors meet the same requirements as Harper College faculty.

  • Why enroll in dual credit courses?

    • Many dual credit courses are accepted as full college transfer credit by colleges and universities other than the college issuing the credit (see additional transfer information below).
    • Every college credit earned in high school could lead to fewer courses and less tuition paid in college.
    • The more college credits students enter college with the greater the chance of graduating from a 4-year college or university.
    • Students can prepare for college by engaging in college-level coursework while still in the supportive, daily high school setting.

  • Can I drop a dual credit course?

    Dual credit students can ask their teacher and counselor to be dropped from the college/university dual credit course or to be dropped from both the high school and college/university dual credit course.

    Each college/university partner has a Drop Period when a student can be removed from the dual credit course without any record of the course appearing on his or her college/university transcript. This period is generally Days 1 through 6 of the course.

    After Day 6, the college or university has a Withdraw Period in which a student may receive a W on their college transcript. Following this period, a student who withdraws from the dual credit course may earn an F on their college transcript. Receiving a grade lower than a C or a W on a college transcript may impact your ability to receive financial aid in college.

  • How to apply/register for a dual credit course?

    The high school counselor, the college and career counselor, and classroom teacher handle registration for dual credit courses offered at each high school or at Harper College.

  • Harper Application Process:

    All potential dual credit students must complete the Harper College High School Partnership application.  

    If you are taking a Dual Credit course on the Harper campus, you will need to complete the three forms below.  The High School Partnership Application is completed online.  The Treatment Authorization and Student-Parent Signature Forms should be printed and completed with your parent or guardian.  When complete, you can give them to your high school college and career counselor.

    • High School Partnership Application If you are attending dual credit courses on Harper College Campus or enrolled in a Harper College Campus course where you may attend remotely (i.e. JPN courses), you must complete the following (3) forms, in addition, to the High School Partnership Application: 
    • Treatment Authorization Form (Harper campus dual credit students only.
    Harper College Student Code of Conduct AND Appropriate Use of Computer/Online Resources Form
    • Student-Parent Signature Form
     (Harper campus dual credit students only.

    Completed forms should be returned to your high school's college counselor. 

    If you are taking a Dual Credit course on the high school campus, please only complete the online High School Partnership Application.

  • Triton Dual Credit Application Process:

    Paper application completed during the first week of class.

  • Will my dual credit transfer to other colleges?

    Students taking dual credit courses should consult the specific college they plan to attend.  Transferology is a free web-based tool widely used by academic advisors at a variety of colleges through the country.  Visit to create a free account to see which colleges will accept the dual credit courses you have completed or are interested in taking.  You will need to use the university course codes, not the high school course codes.  Your school counselor can assist in using this tool.

  • What does IAI stand for?

    The Illinois Articulation Initiative (IAI) indicates courses at the highest level of transferability across Illinois public institutions.  For more information click here.

    IAI dual credit courses taught at District 211 schools:

    District 211 Course Name Harper Course Name
    E625 College Composition ENG101 Composition
    A65603 Art in Contemporary Society ART105 Intro to Art
    S64702 Biology 2 BIO101 Biology Survey
    L66202 French 4 FRN202 Intermediate French
    L66602 Spanish 4 SPA202 Intermediate Spanish
    E60303 Speech 1 SPE101 Fundamentals of Speech Communication
    M63502 Quantitative Literacy MTH101 Quantitative Literacy
     WG2403 Intermediate Japanese 2 JPN202 Intermediate Japanese II


    IAI dual credit courses taught at Harper College:

    District 211 Course Name Harper Course Name
    W61603 Introduction to Criminal Justice LEJ101 Intro to Criminal Justice
    W61703 Corrections LEJ104 Correction

  • Does it cost extra to enroll in a dual credit course?

    There is no additional tuition cost to the student for courses through Harper and Triton colleges.  There may be a small fee associated with the request to send a college transcript from the dual credit college to another college.  University of Illinois dual credit classes do have an enrollment fee that can be found in the District 211 Curriculum Guide.  This university fee is paid at the start of the course.

  • When is the deadline to withdraw from a dual credit course?

    The deadline to withdraw is the sixth day of class for the semester.  If your child withdraws by the sixth day, the course will never appear on your child’s transcript.  After the sixth day, a withdraw will be designated as “W” from the college and “Withdraw Passing” or “Withdraw Failing” from the high school on your child’s transcript.

  • Is there an impact on financial aid by taking a dual credit course if a student earns below a grade of “C” in the course?

    All dual credit courses count towards financial aid standards of academic progress (SAP) whether or not the student receives financial aid.

    • If a student takes one dual credit course and earns a “D” grade, the student will start out on financial warning for GPA under 2.0.
    • If a student takes one dual credit course and receives a “W” (withdrawal) grade, the student will start out on financial warning for completion under 67%.
    • If a student takes one dual credit courses and earns an “F” grade, the student will start out on financial warning for GPA under 2.0 and for completion under 67%.

  • What is FERPA and does it apply to me?

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 states that student records will be released only to the student. This applies to high school students as well; parents will not be able to obtain grade or student record information by contacting Harper College.

  • How will taking a dual credit course impact my college status (admission and scholarship)?

    Students taking dual credit classes should consult the specific colleges they are considering attending for specific details.  Most colleges continue to designate a student as a freshman applicant as long as the student is enrolled in high school at the time of application.  Some colleges, however, may consider an applicant as a transfer student depending on the total number of college credits earned while in high school.  For example, if a student earns enough early college credits in high school to enter college as a sophomore then the student may be considered a transfer student.  Students considered as a transfer applicant may not be eligible for freshmen scholarships but may be eligible for transfer student scholarships.  Each college has different procedures for these situations and students should investigate specific schools transfer policies they are interested in attending.

  • How does taking a dual credit course impact NCAA eligibility?

    For initial eligibility, the NCAA is only interested in NCAA approved high school courses.  These NCAA approved courses can be found in the District 211 Curriculum Guide. Once the student starts at the NCAA Division I or Division II college, the determination moves over to the college matriculation office for review of what college credit have been earned and what would be looked at to maintain eligibility.

  • If I have completed the High School Partnership Application and now I am deciding to go to Harper, do I need to complete the Harper Application?

    Students who have applied under the High School Partnership Application do not need to complete the Harper College Application. 
    Instead, they can log into the MyHarper Portal using their login credentials to complete the Application Update Form to update their Harper student record.

    Here is the link to the Application Update Form:    
    It is strongly recommended that students clear their cache before starting the application update form.

    Here is the link to a tutorial on “MyHarper Portal-How to Sign In”:          

  • I took a dual credit class, how do I obtain my Harper transcript?

    Here is the link to a tutorial on “Harper College - Ordering Official Transcripts…”