McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act
Township High School District 211 is committed to providing the delivery of services to youth and their families to ensure the elimination of barriers to enrollment and full participation in our school settings. We are committed to supporting all of our students and ensuring that every student has access to the full range of educational experiences and resources that our district is proud to provide.
The McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act ensures the educational rights and protections of homeless children and youth so that they may enroll in school, attend regularly, and be successful.
This Act guarantees homeless children and youth the following:
- The right to immediate enrollment in school, even if lacking paperwork normally required for enrollment
- The right to attend school in his/her school of origin or in the school in the attendance area where the family or youth is currently residing
- The right to receive transportation to his/her school of origin
- The right to services comparable to those received by housed schoolmates, including transportation and supplemental educational services
- The right to an “equal playing field” and the removal of all barriers to receiving educational services
- The right to attend school along with children not experiencing homelessness. Segregation based on a student's status as homeless is strictly prohibited.
- The posting of homeless students’ rights in all schools and other places around the community.
For additional information on the McKinney-Vento Act, please follow the link below to the North Cook Intermediate Services Center resource page or click on the resources that we have provided below.
2021 Child Related Tax Credits - IRS Information
Affordable Connectivity Program
Illinois Rental Payment Program
North/Northwest Suburbs Resource Directory
McKinney-Vento Fact Sheet
MKV Educational Rights - Parents NCISC
MKV Educational Rights - Parents NCISC (en Español)
Should My Child Change Schools?
Unaccompanied Youth Brochure
Unaccompanied Youth Informational Poster